Sunday, September 4, 2011

September Journal Calendar!

This calendar journal was inspired by Back-to-School Time.
Even though we teachers no longer work in a little red schoolhouse,
and we don't have blackboards anymore,
the start of school brings red and black to mind.

 On these white pages, I spread gesso, let it dry, then covered it all in deep red.

 I set down a 12-inch mask/stencil, and spritzed a bit of water on the pages.

 I then let that sit for a few minutes, blotted up extra water drops with a paper towel, then wiped the whole page with a baby wipe. It worked. It's a technique I just learned from Journalartistaart's blog. (Thank you, Paula). I need a lot more practice, but...I will. Practice. In my free time now that school has begun.

 Students begin early on Tuesday, September 6th.

Everyone's probably a little nervous,
but we'll smile and help one another through.
It takes a village, afterall...
*
Have a happy Labor Day Weekend, all.
If I don't get to you in the next couple of days,
Best to all of you teachers and students out there!
*
For lots more calendar journals, check out Kate's Blog at thekathrynwheel !

12 comments:

DancingMooney said...

Happy September Kathy! ♥

JessiVille said...

I've been thinking about making a calendar in my journal and I love yours! I watch Paula too and I will use some of her techniques as well. Journaling is about all I've had time for recently but I'm hoping I can get back to my girlies soon. Have a happy holiday!!!
Jessi xox

pearshapedcrafting said...

I know exactly what you mean! Blackboards mean school, although when we changed I was pleased not to have those horrible dry fingers! (retired now than goodness!) Great pages, love that technique!

Lesley Edmonds said...

Your pages are lovely. I can see that you are enjoying this year long exercise.

I recently revisited my calendar from last year. It has really helped me to remember the small things in life that the memory lets slip away.

x

McMGrad89 said...

Nice September Calendar. I love the blackboard theme for the journal spots. I am missing the start of school this year not being in the classroom. Makes me sad to see all the teachers posting about going back to school. Hope you have a great school year.

lori vliegen said...

your new calendar is perfect! a teacher has to have a chalkboard somewhere in her life (i can't believe they're completely gone from the classroom now......boo hoo! no more clapping those dusty erasers together after class!). hope you have a fabulous school year, sweet pea....i know your new students will absolutely adore you!! xox

Karen said...

ooo what an excellent technique for your background....I must try that one! Gorgeous pages x

Terri Kahrs said...

Hope you had a good "first day back"! Love your calendar - how clever to use blackboard for September! I'm sending lots of wishes for a great school year! Hugs, Teri xoxox

Wildflowerhouse said...

Love the blackboard. So clever. If I was still teaching they would have to cart me away before they took my blackboard.LOL

thekathrynwheel said...

Love your September pages, although you are ahead of me now, I still haven't done mine! Really like the red and black colours. Hope your return to school was ok ... Back to school for me this week too!

Cat said...

Love the blackboards!
I hope back to school has gone well! Hope you have a great class - or turn them into one!
XO - Cat

Lynette (NZ) said...

Love your background, your blackboard squares and your embellishments. Have a good September.