Friday, August 20, 2010

Journal Page

The word Release not only came to me early this morning. It hit me. I like it.

You know I've been concerned about my summer vacation ending on August 30th. Well, I woke up this morning,went into my very messy art space (paperpumpkin room), looked at this collage I started last night, and well...release hit me. So I journaled about it a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I love teaching young children. It is a huge part of who I am. And there's the key. A huge part. It used to be what defined me. It isn't anymore. I am much more than just a teacher. The difficulty with a work issue last year not only was very hard on me and on my health, but it was perhaps what defined for me, that taught me, that I am not just a teacher.

I think this is healthy.

So this summer I explored me. (And I got healthier again...) But I still have issues. I must keep moving along this learning curve and remember not to let sick, hurtful people saturate my heart and soul. I can't be that sponge. If I want to keep moving forward and onward on my life journey, I can't sit still and soak up the needless pain.

My journey this new school year will involve utilizing my new 'self skills'. (I made that up). I won't let my work this summer get lost. I am taking it, no ME, with me to the classroom. Again. Like I used to when I was young and had all the energy in the world. I do have a renewed energy. It comes from expressing myself. It is my creative energy perhaps. I've rediscovered my creative side.

I want to bring art journaling, visual journaling, into my classroom. A center for reluctant writers and a place for creativity and self expression and learning. In a new way. I'm excited. I needed to problem-solve. It's what I do. And, I need to teach.

More later. Thank you for listening and visiting me...especially today. ♥ Kathy

Release.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

would you consider doing a step by step version of your visual journalling here? i find your journals really fascinating.

Anonymous said...

It sounds as if you're discovering/ rediscovering yourself. This sounds very exciting. Thanks for sharing this with us.

All the best, Boonsong

Jennifer Richardson said...

How rich.
What a freedom train you've been riding
as you've carved and stamped and journaled
and created.
Sounds as if you've uncovered a precious treasure: your own heart.
And what a gem it is.
Oh release, release, release to you, braveheart.
I LOVE what you wrote: I'm taking me with me to the classroom.
So many people I know never do.
Bravo to you!
And thanks for teaching;you guys are my heros.
-Jennifer

lori vliegen said...

perfectly said, sweet kathy!! it sounds like you've learned a lot about yourself this summer. i'm so happy for you that you've rediscovered your creative side.....and that your journaling has been such a valuable tool in helping you heal. the kids in your new class are very lucky to have you..... xox, :))

Nancy said...

I am so glad you have taken care of yourself this summer and that all your creative efforts have brought healing.....Your kids will benefit greatly from your new approach and I can't wait to hear all the stories of journaling, etc...that you are going to teach them......

It's always so encouraging to me when someone is willing to be transparant....Thank you....

Hugs

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post....I too spent my summer getting more in touch with "me"....I am a teacher as well, and love it...although it can be quite draining...
It seems we have so much in common!!

Kolleen said...

Release....such a wonderful word....powerful word.

i love that you are taking you to your classroom!!! and i love even more that you are going to incorporate your journaling into your classroom!!

enjoy your last couple days of summer!

and...i don't know what kind of music you like...but Pearl Jam sings a song called "Release" that is pretty great!!

xxooxxoo
k

Liana Yarckin said...

Kathy, your students will be so lucky to have you! Good luck and have fun! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

lisa said...

i loved reading this. i am smiling a huge smile for you right now. what an honor to open a window of creative expression for children. you are exactly the person to do this.

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

♥ I can't thank you all enough for your support and understanding. I am so touched. ♥ Kathy xo

Marilyn & Jeff said...

A lovely post and I like that you are taking the 'real you' into my classroom; it is much like what i said in my post on Friday about being more than a role but a real person.

Erin Butson said...

Wow. I love this post. Love this journal. I feel like you're me! I'm you. whatever.
I SO know what it's like to define myself 100% as a teacher. To intentionally step out of that safe role was/is so scary because it is so known. it's where i'm successful. it's predictable. AND it can be so CONSUMING. Learning how NOT to let it consume every fiber of my being has been a 13 year process that I am still struggling with! To step out and grow and explore other parts of me is healthy.
I love your honesty + transparency.

I've been thinking about you lots this week. Know that I'll be praying for you as summer comes to a close. That you would be the bright light that you are. That you would illuminate the space around you, light up your classroom and every single one of your students.XOXO

Taylor schapiro said...

I know exactly what you mean about the end of summer and the back to school blues. I too enjoy my job, but it's hard to get back into it. We started last week and it has been okay-except I have been avoiding planning or thinking past the next day. I have to do some real planning. This is getting too long. I'll email you tomorrow with the rest of my ramblings and about the art journals.

Anonymous said...

Kathy I think art journaling in the classroom would be SO amazing! I know those were the types of teachers that stood out most to me when I was in school. It wasn't that they encouraged us to express ourselves artfully so much, as it was that some of my favorite teachers encouraged us to find ways to express *ourselves*. And that means a lot to a kid finding his or her own way in life.

I am excited for you to be renewed and have a new sense of who you are and what you have to bring to the table. ♥

I'll cheers to that! ;)